Work Detail IV (Tannery) started operations in January 1942 and was billeted in Jasenovac village. It was housed in buildings belonging to a pre-war tannery used for treating hides, and comprised the necessary workshops and production facilities, warehouses and two accommodation units for prisoners. The entire area was fenced with several rows of barbed wire. Most of the prisoners working in the Tannery were Jews, many of them experts in the techniques of treating hides and producing leather (for footwear and other items needed for military supplies). This part of the camp also had its own administration and the group leader was himself a prisoner. There were few liquidations in the Tannery.