The first transports of children from Stara Gradiška Camp arrived in the abandoned barracks of the Italian militia, the former manor house of Count Erdödy, and the Franciscan monastery near Jastrebarsko, in mid-July 1942. Later, children were brought from the camp farms in Jablanac and Mlaka.
About 2,000 children were brought to Reka, about three kilometres from Jastrebarsko. There were about 3,336 children in these two camps.
During the assault on Jastrebarsko in August 1942, the Partisans evacuated several hundred healthy, older children, and the Catholic organisation, Caritas, took care of about 500 of them.
Private citizens in Zagreb, Jastrebarsko and the surrounding villages took in 1,637 boys and girls.